Cycling Network Maps
Stage 2 Bicycle Strategy Towns and Villages of the Southern Highlands
Council received funds from Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) to develop Stage 2 of a planned 3 stage comprehensive Bicycle Strategy for Wingecarribee Shire. Stage 2 was adopted by Council on 25 May 2016.
The focus of the draft Stage 2 Bicycle Strategy was to identify a proposed network to promote connectivity between Wingecarribee's rural towns and villages.
The aim of the strategy is to identify and articulate the challenges faced by Council when developing an integrated cycling network and provide a toolkit to guide Council's future consideration and provision of cycling related infrastructure.
Stage 1 Bicycle Strategy
Wingecarribee Shire Council adopted a Bicycle Strategy in November 2008.
The strategy identified existing and proposed key bicycle routes for Moss Vale, Bowral, and Mittagong and established priorities for the implementation of upgrades and construction of new bicycle routes.
The Wingecarribee Bicycle Strategy aims to:
- Improve links to key destinations
- Identify a network of routes
- Establish a practical works program for cycling infrastructure
- Identify cycle paths and facilities that can be used by the whole community
- Establish priorities for construction work
- Update the previous bicycle plan proposals to meet current standards
- Develop a plan that can be used to obtain external grant funding
Some of the issues considered in developing the Bicycle Strategy were:
- Local topography, such as steep hills between Mittagong and Bowral
- Financial and resource constraints faced by Council
- Existing infrastructure such as major roads and railway lines, the main shopping areas, and recreational attractions such as public swimming pools and parks
- Integrating cycleway development with other Council works
- Existing cycle routes and desired lines
- Increased cycle traffic, use of motorised scooters and an ageing population
- The need for a cycle tourism strategy
The initial strategy was limited in focus to the towns of Mittagong, Bowral and Moss Vale, but the document recommends that other areas of the Shire be addressed in future.
Read the WSC Bicycle Strategy for Bowral, Mittagong & Moss Vale.