Earth Works

You will not need approval if the retaining wall meets all the relevant development standards for exempt development.

Specific information about Earthworks, Retaining Walls and Structural Support:

Find out more:

If the proposal doesn't qualify as exempt development, you may be able to apply for a Complying Development Certificate or a Development Application

Do I qualify for a Complying Development Certificate?

Complying Development Certificate may be issued for works including earthworks, retaining walls, drainage, protection of walls and protection of trees for land zoned R1, R2, R3, R4 or RU5 if the proposal meets all the relevant development standards. 

You can use the Housing Code to check whether your proposal is complying development. The individual clause should be read in conjunction with all of Part 3.

If your proposal does not meet all of the standards you must lodge a Development Application.

I need a Development Application (DA). What do I do?

If your proposal does not qualify as Complying Development, you will need to lodge a Development Application with Council via the NSW Planning Portal.

The NSW Department of Planning, Industry and Environment has a useful guide to the DA process.