Retaining Walls

retaining wall

You will not need approval if the retaining wall meets all the relevant development standards for Exempt Development.

Specific information about Earthworks, retaining walls and structural support.

If the proposal doesn't qualify as exempt development, you may be able to apply for a Complying Development Certificate or a Development Application via the NSW Planning Portal.

Do I qualify for a Complying Development Certificate?

Complying Development Certificate  may be issued for works including earthworks, retaining walls, drainage, protection of walls and protection of trees for land zoned R1, R2, R3, R4 or RU5 if the proposal meets all the relevant development standards. 

A Complying Development Certificate can be issued by Council or a Private Certifier and the application for a Complying Development Certificate must be submitted via the NSW Planning Portal.

You can use the State Environmental Planning Policy (SEPP) to check whether your proposal is complying development. The individual clause should be read in conjunction with all of Part 3.

If your proposal does not meet all of the standards you must lodge a Development Application.

I need a Development Application (DA). What do I do?

If your proposal does not qualify as Complying Development, you will need to lodge a Development Application with Council.

The NSW Department of Planning, Industry and Environment has a useful guide to the DA process.