Tiny Homes and Caravans

Tiny home image for do I need approval page

Tiny homes are gaining popularity as a unique way of living. A tiny home is typically:

  1. A compact house fixed to a trailer, much like a caravan. Because it's built on a trailer, it can be registered under the Road Transport Act 2013.

  2. A small dwelling attached to the land, often as a secondary home (e.g., a granny flat or converted shed). This type is considered a secondary dwelling, and it's a favoured option for those looking to add a tiny house to their existing property.

If you're thinking about living in a tiny home, it's important to be aware of local and State planning laws. The approval requirements will vary depending on the type of tiny house you're considering and the zoning of the land where it's located.

If you're tiny house or caravan complies with Clause 77 of the Local Government (Manufactured Home Estates, Caravan Parks, Camping Grounds and Moveable Dwellings) Regulation 2021 then approval is not required.

Council's planning documents that apply;

Wingecarribee Local Environmental Plan 2010

Development Control Plans

You will also need to consider NSW Government legislation:


Frequently asked questions

Do I need a approval for my tiny home

You can keep your tiny home it in your backyard or on your property without requiring development approval, provided it can be registered with RMS as a trailer and you meet specific exemptions.

Under NSW regulations, you're allowed to:

  1. Have up to two caravans, campervans, or tents for short-term stays (up to 2 consecutive days) for a maximum of 60 days each year.
  2. Have a single caravan, campervan, or tent for a long-term household member to reside in, but only if you already have an approved dwelling (house) on the property. The tiny house must be maintained in a safe and healthy condition.
  3. Use it on pastoral or agricultural land, primarily during the season by individuals employed in pastoral or agricultural activities on the land.

Please note that the details in this clause may change frequently, and it's advisable to keep updated on current standards, as referenced in clause 77 of the Local Government (Manufactured Home Estates, Caravan Parks, Camping Grounds, and Moveable Dwellings) Regulation 2021.

If your tiny home on a trailer does not meet the exemptions under NSW legislation:

You'll need to adhere to the relevant Development Control Plans and address any land-specific constraints, such as those related to bushfire, flood, or land-use conflicts. This may involve submitting a Development Application (DA) or Complying Development Certificate (CDC) and other associated applications, including section 68 approval, driveway, and water and sewer connections. These applications are required for Council assessment and certification. These applications must be lodged via the NSW Planning Portal.

For rural properties, additional approvals may be necessary, like upgrading your existing on-site sewage management system (e.g., septic tank).

For properties in urban areas, you may need approvals to connect to water and sewer infrastructure, and if necessary, you may be responsible for certain contributions.

Regarding a fixed tiny home, including secondary dwellings:

Secondary dwellings are a popular choice to set up a tiny house alongside an existing home. To proceed with this type of development, you will need to obtain approval:

You can either submit a Development Application (DA) and other related applications (e.g., Construction Certificate, driveway, water and sewer connection), or in some cases, you might be eligible for a Complying Development Certificate (CDC).

Council will evaluate and certify your proposal for a permanently constructed or installed dwelling (home)/manufactured home.

To find out more about whether your tiny home proposal requires approval you can book a duty appointment.

Do I need to pay contributions for my tiny home?

Tiny home (on wheels)

If your tiny home doesn't require approval, then no contributions will be required. 

Static Tiny home (including secondary dwelling)

If your tiny home is under 60m squared you will need to pay for a Section 64 Development Servicing Plan - water & sewer connection.

Section 7.11 contributions will not be application. 

Can I live in my tiny home as a permanently?

Static tiny home (secondary dwelling), and tiny home on wheels (caravan)

Current legislation does not allow for a tiny home as a primary dwelling (home) - this applies to rural and residential zoning. However, clause 77 of the Local Government (Manufactured Home Estates, Caravan Parks, Camping Grounds and Moveable Dwellings) Regulation 2021 allows for certain exemptions for vacant land.

You can check the zoning of your property using the NSW Planning Portal's Spatial Viewer.

Your tiny home may be considered a primary dwelling, subject to certain approvals and compliance.

To check if your proposal may be permitted with approval, you can engage planning professional or you can make a duty appointment with one of our Council Planners to find out more.





Can I let out my tiny home?

Caravan or Tiny home on wheels

Yes, this is permitted as long as you meet the requirements of clause 77 of the Local Government (Manufactured Home Estates, Caravan Parks, Camping Grounds and Moveable Dwellings) Regulation 2021.

 Static Tiny Home (includes secondary dwellings)

You are permitted to rent out your tiny home as a form or rental housing. You might also rent it as a short-term tourist accommodation or visitor accommodation, in line with requirements outlined in clause 5.13 of the Wingecarribee Local Environmental Plan 2010.

Can I connect my tiny home to water and sewer?

You will need approval from Council to carry out plumbing works for water supply or wastewater disposal (fixed water and sewer connection points) under Section 68 of the Local Government Act 1993.

Contributions may also apply.

You will need a separate approval for an on-site sewage management system if a town sewer connection is not available.