Garden Sheds

Garden Shed
Do I need approval?

If your Shed meets all of the relevant development standards for Exempt Development you will not need approval.

You can view specific information about Garden Sheds by visiting the below link:

Cabanas, cubby houses, ferneries, garden sheds, gazebos and greenhouses

If your proposal does not meet the conditions of an Exempt Development, you may be able to submit a Complying Development Certificate or a Development Application via the NSW Planning Portal.

Do I qualify for a Complying Development Certificate?

If the Garden Shed proposal meets all of the relevant development standards, a Complying Development Certificate may be issued for land zoning R1, R2, R3, R4 or RU5.

A Complying Development Certificate can be issued by Council or a Private Certifier. An application for a Complying Development Certificate must be submitted via the NSW Planning Portal.

You can use the State Environmental Planning Policy (SEPP) to check whether your proposal is complying development. It is important to read both the individual clause as well as the Part.

In the event that your proposal does not meet all the standards, a Development Application must be lodged.

I need a Development Application (DA). What do I do?

You will need to lodge a Development Application with Council if your development proposal does not qualify as Complying Development.

The NSW Department of Planning, Industry and Environment has a useful guide to the DA process.