Backyard Burning


With the start of the Bush Fire Danger Period on 1 October a permit to light a fire is required from the relevant fire authority.

Refer to the Backyard Burning Policy Map for your fire zone.

Backyard burning contributes to air pollution and can cause respiratory problems. Smoke may also impact neighbours, particularly in urban areas. There are other preferred methods for disposing of green waste including: 

  • Disposal in the organics waste bin collected fortnightly
  • Using dried logs for heating
  • Mulching or composting
  • Taking the green waste to the Resource Recovery Centre for mulching.

There are conditions under which owners or occupiers of certain properties may burn dead and dry vegetation from property maintenance at particular times of the year. 

When, Where and How Can Backyard Burning Be Undertaken?

Before you undertake a burn, check which properties are able to burn and the steps to follow before burning. There are requirements that need to be met under the conditions of approval to undertake backyard burning.

Steps for Backyard Burning 

Online Interactive Map

An online interactive map is available. The map allows you to search for your property and see if backyard burning is allowed and the conditions that apply when planning for and undertaking backyard burning.

Backyard Burning Policy Map


In New South Wales, burning in the open is controlled by the Protection of the Environment Operations (Clean Air) Regulation 2010 (the Regulation). Part 2 of Schedule 8 of the Regulation allows Wingecarribee Shire Council to grant approval for burning in the open in certain circumstances.

Council's Urban Backyard Burning Policy provides the approval conditions and requirements for burning in the open in Wingecarribee local government area.

General Notices of Approval for Backyard Burning

General Terms of Approval(PDF, 198KB)

NOTE: This Notice of Approval is provided in accordance with the Protection of the Environment Operations (Clean Air) Regulation 2010. Failure to comply may result in a penalty of up to $500 for an individual or up to $1,000 for a corporation.

Different Approvals for Other Types of Burning

For other activities, such as hazard reduction burning and clearing for development, different approvals are required.

  • Different approvals are needed for:
  • Bush fire hazard reduction activities 
  • Burning from land clearance or development
  • Burning of vegetation cleared under the NSW Rural Fire Services 10/50 Clearing Code of Practice 
  • Ecological burning

More information for these situations can be found in the Backyard Burning Fact Sheet;

Backyard Burning(PDF, 280KB)

Where no domestic waste collection service is available, burning of domestic waste is allowed under Part 3 of Schedule 8 of the Protection of the Environment Operations (Clean Air) Regulation 2010


BBQs and Cooking

Under the Protection of the Environment Operations (Clean Air) Regulation 2010, Council approval is not required for cooking, BBQs or having a fire for recreational purposes such as camping, picnicking, scouting or other similar outdoor activities, provided only dry seasoned wood, liquid petroleum gas (LPG), natural gas or proprietary barbecue fuel (including a small quantity of fire starter) is used. 

There are some situations where you may need a permit to light a fire from a fire authority for recreational fires. For fires for cooking or heating, a permit is not required in RFS and Fire and Rescue zones, provided the fire is in a permanently constructed fireplace and meets the details on the RFS website

For other types of recreational burning, if you have any questions about whether you need a permit please contact your fire authority. Use the Backyard Burning Map to find out which fire authority is relevant for your property.

Agricultural Burning

Under the Protection of the Environment Operations (Clean Air) Regulation 2010, Council approval is not required for burning as part of agricultural activities, including burning stubble, orchard pruning, diseased crops, weeds or pest animal habitats on farms, pasture for regenerative purposes or for agricultural clearing (other than construction).

However, a permit is required all year round for agricultural burning in a Fire and Rescue zone and during the Bush Fire Danger Period in the Rural Fire Service zone. Use the Backyard Burning Map to see which zone your property is in.