Construction Certificate Application

An important message to our customers about Construction Certificate Delays and advice that Private Certifiers or Council Certifiers can issue Construction Certificates

Construction Certificate pursuant to the Environment Planning and Assessment Act 1979 and the Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulation 2000


What is a Construction Certificate?

Before you can start building or construction work you must apply for Construction Certificate via the NSW Planning Portal. You do not have to submit your Construction Certificate via a Council Certifier, you may choose to submit this application through a Private Certifier.


When do I need to submit my Construction Certificate

A Construction Certificate (CC) becomes necessary once Development Consent has been granted, and it must be obtained before commencing any construction work. The purpose of a CC is to ensure the following:

  1. Detailed Construction Plans and Specifications align with the Building Code of Australia (BCA) and any other applicable Australian standards.
  2. The Construction Plans and Specifications align with the conditions of the Development Consent.
  3. All stipulated conditions of the Development Consent have been met.
  4. All fees and deposits have been paid.


Construction Certificate Lodgement

  • All information required by the checklist must be submitted with your application on the NSW Planning Portal, even if you have already provided this information before in seeking approval for development.
  • Incomplete applications or illegible information will not be accepted by Council.
  • All fees are to be paid before your application can be lodged.


Online lodgement of Construction Certificates via the NSW Planning Portal is now mandatory.

Further information may be requested by Council after an inspection of the site and the detailed assessment of the proposal has been completed.

Please note that Council are currently experiencing lengthy delays in issuing of Construction Certificates (>2 months). It should be noted that you do not have to use a Council Certifier and may wish to seek advice from a Private Certifier in provisioning a Construction Certificate.