Noise Issues


We live with noise everyday but sometime certain noises intrude into our activities and become a nuisance.

Noise issues are the responsibility of many authorities including The Environment Protection Authority (EPA), Roads and Maritime Services (RMS), and Council depending on the noise issue.

The best ways to resolve the issue may be to talk with the person, if possible, making the noise as they may not be aware that the noise is causing a problem. 

Below lists who to contact about specific noise issues. 

Barking dogs

Council has provided below some advice for dog owners and information for residents on how to make a complaint about a barking dog.

Advice for dog owners

If you own a dog that barks excessively, there are positive steps you can take to prevent the dog from barking too much and to reduce and to prevent offensive noise to your neighbours.

The Barking Dog Fact Sheet(PDF, 99KB) provides good advice on caring for your dog and provides an insight as to why your dog is barking. It also explains the law applying to noise from dogs and provides information that is intended to make life better for you, your dog, and your neighbours.

Solving an issue with a barking dog

If you experience unwanted noise such as excessive barking or other problems associated with dogs in your local neighbourhood, there are a number of things you can do.

Step 1: Talk to your neighbour

Contact your neighbour first and calmly explain to them what is happening and how it is affecting you. The owner may not be aware that their animal is causing a nuisance. If you have ideas on how to resolve the issue you could suggest this to the owner.

Step 2: Seek mediation

If the first approach does not work there are community justice centres available to help mediate between you and your neighbour. They may be able to help you come up with a resolution.

Step 3: Lodge a complaint with Council

If you are unable to resolve the animal nuisance issue by talking with the pet owner, and through mediation -  a complaint can be made to council through a Service Request.

More information

Community Justice Centre

 EPA - fact sheet on barking dog

Residential noise nuisance

Residential noise can be caused by a number of sources including air conditioning units, music, power tools, and lawn mowers.

The table below shows the restricted hours of operation for particular equipment where the noise is loud enough that it can be heard within a neighbour's habitable room.

Noise Source On Residential Premises Time Restrictions (Noise should not be audible in a neighbour's residence during these times) Authority to Contact

Power tools & equipment (powered garden tools, e.g. lawn mowers & leaf blowers, electric or pneumatic tools, chainsaws or circular saws, gas or air compressors, swimming pool or spa pumps)

8pm-7am on week days & Saturdays;

8pm-8am on Sundays & Public Holidays

Council or Police


Pumps - swimming pool, spa, sump, water cooler that uses a pump andother equipmentused for pumping

8pm-7am on week days & Saturdays;

8pm-8am on Sundays & Public Holidays

Council or Police


Musical instruments & sound equipment (radios, TVs, tape recorders, record or compact disc players, public address systems, computer games) 12 midnight to 8am Friday, Saturday or any day preceding a public holiday
10pm-8am on any other day
Council or Police


Domestic air conditioners & heat pump hot water systems


10pm-7am on week days

10pm-8am on weekends & public holidays



Motor vehicles (except when entering or leaving residential premises)

8pm-7am on week days

8pm-8am on weekends & public holidays

Council or Police


Refrigeration units fitted to motor vehicles

8pm-7am on week days

8pm-8am on weekends & public holidays

Council or Police
Noise from burglar alarms Refer to New South Wales EPA



Council or Police
Hours of demolition & construction works The hours for construction & demolition activities are specified in a specific development consent. Any breaches should be referred to the certifying body (i.e the private certifier or councils Development & Building Service Branch) advertised at the development site. Council or Police



Further information
Resolving neighbourhood noise issues
Talk to your neighbour

Before taking formal steps in complaining about a noise nuisance it is recommended that you attempt to contact your neighbour to discuss the problem and an appropriate resolution.  

Seek mediation

Where talking with your neighbour has proven unsuccessful, you may, depending on the circumstances, consider contacting a Community Justice Centre. Community Justice Centre's are government-funded, independent centres that specialise in settling differences between neighbours without getting into complicated legal processes. For more information visit the Community Justice Centre Website.

Speak to your strata management

If your noise nuisance is from a neighbour within your strata complex, lodge the complaint with your strata management. Under the Strata Schemes Management Act 1996, each strata scheme must have a set of bylaws which owners and occupiers of the strata scheme lots are required to comply with. Most strata schemes have bylaws relating to noise nuisances and have powers to enforce bylaw rules. 

Lodge with Council

If you are experiencing a noise nuisance from one of the sources outlined above and your attempt to resolve it has been unsuccessful, you may lodge a Service Request.



Construction Noise

The Council restricts the hours for construction on development sites. Approved construction hours are Monday to Saturday, 7am–5pm. No work is allowed on Sundays and public holidays. There are also restrictions on the level of noise that can be emitted from activities such as rock breaking and earthworks.

If you believe that construction noise is causing a noise nuisance please contact the correct authority as outlined below.

Noise type Contact
Major road or public infrastructure works eg freeways EPA Environment Line131 500
Road construction - main roads Roads and Maritime Services - Road Projects
RMS Major Projects Info Line1800 633 332
Road construction - local roads Council
Building construction Council 
Lodging a noise complaint with Council

To enable Council to investigate noise complaints, please follow the link to complete an online Service Request

Commercial and industrial noise

Commercial and industrial premises must not cause a noise nuisance to neighbouring residents.

If a nearby premises is causing a noise nuisance to you, please contact the correct authority as outlined below.

Industrial / Commercial Noise Contact
Large industrial complexes EPA Environment Line131 500
Smaller factories and backyard workshops Council
Commercial premises - ventilation, airconditioning, refrigeration Council

Lodging a noise complaint with Council

To enable Council to investigate noise complaints, it is essential to complete a online service request


Licensed premises

Licensed premises are regulated by the local police and the NSW Office of Liquor, Gaming and Racing (OLGR).

OLGR will investigate complaints regarding noise from licensed premises and/or their patrons.

Lodge a complaint with the OLGR by:
  • Online complaint  
  • Mail to: Disturbance Complaints Unit, NSW Office of Liquor, Gaming and Racing , GPO Box 7060, Sydney NSW 2001
  • Phone: 02 9995 0300
Fact sheets

Common Noise Sources Fact Sheet(PDF, 306KB)

Neighbourhood Noise Complaints(PDF, 169KB)

Regulatory Options Fact Sheet(PDF, 223KB)

Barking Dog Fact Sheet(PDF, 263KB)

Pumps and Air Conditioners(PDF, 184KB)


Council's Neighbourhood Noise Policy describes how complaints are managed.