Complying Development

If your proposal meets the criteria set out for a Complying Development Certificate (CDC) you will need to lodge an application via the NSW Planning Portal and receive a CDC.  A CDC can be issued by Council or a Private Certifier. 

You can find out more about Complying Developments here: 

Understanding complying development

There are general requirements listed under Part 1 that apply to all complying development and in addition, each type of Development must also meet certain ‘Development Standards’ in order to be complying. 

View more details about these SEPPs and complying development:

NSW Department of Planning, Industry and Environment

Is my development a Complying Development?

Complying Development cannot be undertaken on all land.

To determine if your property meets the land-based requirements under the State Policy, you can apply to Council for a Section 10.7 Planning Certificate.

Complying development is unable to be used on some types of land, such as environmentally sensitive land, bushfire prone land with a BAL 40 or BAL FZ rating, land containing a heritage item and foreshore areas.

All Complying Development must still meet the National Construction Code (NCC) as well as the requirements for adjoining owners’ property rights, the applicable common law and other legislative requirements for approvals, licenses, permits and authorities.

What if I can’t meet all the criteria?

If your development does not satisfy all the controls or is proposed on land which is excluded from the state policy, complying development cannot be approved.

State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008

You will need to lodge a Development Application via the NSW Planning Portal to seek approval for your proposal.

Other Approvals you might need before you submit your Complying Development Application

You may need separate approvals or permits for specific parts of the Development or activities before you lodge your application, such as:

  • A Bushfire Attack Level Certificate (BAL) issued by an accredited Bush Fire Consultant.
  • Flood planning certification
  • Tree removal application for removing or pruning trees where consent is required
  • Section 138 Roads Act 1993 approval for any works within the road reserve including building any kerb, crossover or driveway. Please apply for a Section 138 Application via the NSW Planning Portal
  • Section 68 activities approval (submitted via the NSW Planning Portal) under the Local Government Act 1993 for any:
    • Water, Sewer or Stormwater works
    • Onsite Sewerage Management System
    • Meter connection


After you lodge your Complying Development Application via the NSW Planning Portal, Council will assess your application and determine if approval is granted.

If your development is approved, you will receive the conditions of consent.




NSW Planning Portal

The lodgement of a Complying Development (CDC) Application via the NSW Planning Portal is now mandatory.

Please use the link below to lodge your applications:

Lodge your CDC