An inspector will investigate the complaint, and make a decision based on the evidence he/she can find, as to what will be done. The inspector may take one or more of the following actions:
- Provide advice on appropriate care
- Officially warn the person/s
- Issue directions to the owner to address welfare issues
- Issue an infringement notice
- Collect evidence to begin a prosecution
The inspector may then revisit to ensure that directions or advice have been followed, and if they have not, may elect to take other action.