Mittagong Memorial Hall (Mittagong Playhouse)
- Project typeBuilding refurbishment
- Contractor nameNBRS & Partners Pty Ltd (design only)
The Mittagong Memorial Hall as we know it today is a testament to community re-adaptation of facilities over time, as it is the amalgamation of three unique buildings into one. It has formerly served the community as a School of Arts, Mittagong Council Chambers and a community hall.
Today the building is a beloved playhouse and community centre host to small theatre, dance and music productions. It is also home to the Berrima District Historical and Family History Society and their collection of precious documents.
The Mittagong Playhouse is the only publicly owned and dedicated theatre within the Southern Highlands. It is well utilised by our community and hosts very successful adult and youth productions year-round.
Unfortunately, due to a serious structural fault on the western side of the building, the Mittagong Playhouse had to be closed in late 2019.
The Mittagong Memorial Hall is a heritage listed building which has high social and architectural significance. It is of great importance that the building be restored quickly to allow theatre productions once again.
The project to restore the Mittagong Memorial Hall’s structural integrity will include design and construction works required to make safe, meet compliance and renew the facility for future generations whilst retaining the heritage values of this historic building.
Progress to date includes the following;
- Extensive onsite investigation by specialised consultants
- Floorplan layout agreement and signoff by Stakeholders and User Groups
- Preparation of schematic design drawings
- Preparation of Development Application
- Development Application for building refurbishment approved in June 2023
- Council continues to seek grant funding opportunity
Project Delivery team
02 4868 0888
114 - 116 Main Street, Mittagong 2575 View Map