• Home
  • Online Customer Service Centre

Overgrown Properties

Overgrown properties

Council encourages regular mowing of your property to maintain regional pride in our towns and villages, and to prevent serious health and safety implications caused by overgrown premises.

What is an Overgrown Property?

Land may be considered to be not in a safe or healthy condition when it is located in a built up urban area and vegetation on the land:

  • Is harbourage for vermin (evidence can include sightings, faeces, nests, runs, eggs etc.); or

  • Is likely to be harbourage for vermin (such vegetation should be consistently thick to an average height of approximately 600mm and covering a sufficient area to have the potential to harbour vermin. It does not follow from this that an uncleared or regenerated bush block comprising of mainly indigenous vegetation would be considered likely to be a harbourage for vermin; or

  • Is determined by the relevant fire authority as posing a high fire hazard.

Concerns & Complaints 

Communicate with your neighbour first if you have any concerns relating to their property.

If you cannot get the property owner to look after their property, contact Council. Council will become involved with overgrown properties if they involve a potential risk to health. 

Council will initially write to the owner. If, after a reasonable amount of time, nothing has been done about the problem, Council can take other steps to ensure it is cleared and no longer poses a potential risk to health.

All bush fire hazard complaints received by Council must be referred to the Rural Fire Service for their determination, in accordance with the Service Agreement signed by the Rural Fire Service and Council.

Council will not consider vegetation to be a fire hazard if it has been determined not to be a fire hazard by the NSW Fire Service or the Rural Fire Service.

For the purpose of Council to investigate Overgrown Properties:

  • Overgrown Vegetation does not include any vegetation that is protected by either the Threatened Species Conservation Act 1995 or Council’s Tree Preservation Order, and does not include a commercial crop.

  • Vermin does not include any native fauna.

  • Built Up Urban Area includes land within a zone designated "residential" (but not "rural residential") "village", "industrial", or "business" under the Wingecarribee LEP 1989. 

Snap Send SolveBanner
Last Updated: July 22nd, 2020
Can’t Find It?