Water Filling Stations


On this page you will find:

  • Information on our water filling stations for water carting and construction purposes
  • Updates on the project of upgrading our water filling stations
  • Where to find and how to use our water filling stations
  • How to apply to access water from our water filling stations

The use of standpipes to draw water supply from water hydrants is not permitted within Wingecarribee Shire. As an alternative, we have installed water filling stations at multiple locations around the region for use by approved water carters.

With the exception of emergency services and Council Officers, the drawing of water supply through a hydrant standpipe is considered theft and hefty penalties apply.

To report the illegal use of water hydrant standpipes, please contact us immediately on (02) 4868 0888.

Water Filling Station Upgrade Project

As part of our commitment to continually improve our services to the community, we have replaced our water filling station access points, installed additional access points and upgraded the account management system.

The new system and stations went live from 15 July 2022, with a migration period of 6 months to enable users to transition from the existing system over to the new system.

Depending on the system you are currently using, please ensure you refer to the appropriate section on this page for instructions.

Refer to the Water Filling Station Application for more information.

Why do we prohibit the use of hydrant standpipes in the region?

  1. To prevent our assets from being damaged resulting in costly repairs and water wastage.
  2. There is significant cost to ensure the water supply is safe to drink and meets the high standard we deliver. Drawing water from a hydrant standpipe is considered theft because it is not measured consumption.
  3. To prevent disruption of water supply through drawing of water from a hydrant to nearby properties.
  4. To minimise the risk of dirty water complaints and/or possible cross contamination.
  5. To prevent water wastage issues caused by the inappropriate use of standpipes in the water supply network.

Who can access our drinking water filling stations?

Water can be drawn from our water filling stations for many uses, however additional information or requirements may be applicable depending on the proposed purpose for drawing water supply:

Supply of Drinking Water (Water Carters):
If you intend to draw water for the purpose of selling drinking water (e.g. as a water carter), you must register with us to ensure regulatory compliance obligations are met for the supply of drinking water.

Personal Consumption (private use) or Construction (dust suppression):
If the intended use is for private consumption or construction purposes, registration is not required. Water can be purchased via credit card at one of our 8 sites at any time. Users can also choose to register and be issued an account card if this is the preferred payment option.  


Under the Local Government Act, special exemptions can be requested, in writing, to Council and will be subject to approval. The following criteria must be met to be considered for special exemptions:

  • The location of the water delivery is greater than 15 km from one of the existing urban filling stations.
  • The quantity of water to be delivered is greater than 10,000 litres. The frequency of delivery is greater than once a day. Contractors/water carters will need to show documented evidence/log records to validate each exemption point listed.

Have any questions or need to report an issue at our water filling stations? Contact us on (02)  4868 0888.

Find a water filling station

We have 8 water filling access points around the region to draw water supply from. To locate a water filling station, click on your desired location from the list below with a smartphone to open directions in Google Maps. Alternatively, please find a print-friendly fact sheet listing water filling station locations(PDF, 220KB).  

The grey filling station unit at Oldbury Road Moss Vale is discontinued. The green unit is operational at this site.   

The Kangaloon Road, Bowral grey water filling station unit is operational at this site. The green filling station unit is yet to be commissioned and is not currently in working order.

This element requires javascript to be enabled.

Please wait while we load your map...

Water filling station system live from 15 July 2022

In 2021, Council installed 8 water filling stations around the region to replace the units that served the community for over 10 years. This ageing infrastructure was replaced by new and more advanced systems designed to provide an improved service as part of our Community Strategic Plan.

The new systems are designed to be simple to use, with the ability to adjust the filling rate using an easily adjusted valve. The water outlet connection is an FBT-Storz 65 mm cam ring connection. This is the same connection type as the current water filling stations.

Transitioning to the new system

From 15 July 2022 our newly installed water filling stations and account management system went live, with a transition period of 6 months for users to migrate to the new system.

What do you need to do?

If you require access to our water filling stations:

  • For drinking water carting: you will need to complete the Water Filling Station Application to register as a water carter with us. An account card will be issued to you upon account set up. Additional account cards can be issued (fee applies). Alternatively, you can pay using a credit/debit card to purchase water supply, if preferred, however the application is still required.
  • For personal consumption or construction purposes: you can start using our new water filling stations from when they go live using a credit/debit card. If you require an account card, you will need to complete the Water Filling Station Application to register an account with us. Multiple cards can be requested (fee applies).

If you don’t require access:

  • Please use remaining balance on your account card before 15 January 2023.
  • From 15 January 2023, the old system will be deactivated. Your current account card is not compatible with our new system. 

What do you need to do with your current account card?

  • Use remaining balance on your existing account card before 15 January 2023. 
  • Any remaining balance can be transferred to a new account card by visiting the Civic Centre, 68 Elizabeth Street Moss Vale by 30 December 2022.
  • From 15 January 2023, the old system will be deactivated. Your current account card is not compatible with our new system. 

Water filling station user guide

New Water Filling Stations (Green) – Live from 15 July 2022


A new (green) water filling station.

  1. Connect your filling hose
    • Ensure your filling hose is connected and secure at both ends
    • Ensure the outlet valve on the filling station remains closed
  2. Authorise your card payment


    • Select a $ value using the UP (+) and DOWN (-) buttons (minimum charge $1).
    • Press ENTER to confirm the selected value.
    • Present your card to the payment terminal using PayWave.
    • Screen will display “Pre-authorisation Approved”. Your card will be pre-authorised for the value you have selected.
    • You will now be able to access water and proceed to step 3.
  3. Fill your tank
  • Press ENTER
  • Slowly open the outlet valve on the filling station
  • Fill your tank to the level you require
  • Close the outlet valve
  • Press FINISH. Your card will now be charged for the value of water you have taken.
  • Disconnect your hose

WFS User Instructions (Grey) – Until 15 January 2023

Water Filling Station

An old (grey) water filling station.

On approval of your application, you will be given an access code to the locks. Please contact our Customer Service team on (02) 4868 0888 if you require your access code.

Operate the water filling station using the following steps:

  1. Open the upper cover and place the card onto the panel.
  2. Take note of the volume on the display, this shows how much water is available to be drawn from the unit.
  3. Open lower panel and connect hose from truck to 65 mm Storz outlet (same fitting as the fire brigade).
  4. To start, press the black button until the desired flow is achieved.
  5. To stop, press the red button until the flow has stopped or remove your card from the unit and the machine will automatically shut down.
  6. Take note of the reading on the display and subtract the volume from the original volume to determine the amount of water used.
Frequently Asked Questions

Why did get an error when trying to authorise the card payment?

If your pre-authorisation is declined, it may be because there are insufficient funds available on your card. Try again with a lower value.

If your credit card continues to be declined, please contact your card issuer.

If you are using a Council issued Account Card, please contact us on (02) 4868 0888 for assistance.

What hose fitting can be used at our WFS?

A hose with a 65mm STORZ outlet (fire brigade fitting equivalent).

Hose Fitting  

Image of a Storz 65 mm connection

How do I access the new water filling stations?

Refer to: Using our New WFS System for information on transitioning to our new water filling stations.

Drinking water carters are required to register with us as a drinking water carter. Alternatively, other users who wish to pay for water using an account card can choose to register to access this payment method. All users can pay via credit/debit card to access water supply.



Water filling station online account application

Who needs to register?

A water filling station application is required:

  • For the resale of drinking water from water carting,
  • Food preparation and consumption (food businesses).  

The following users are not required to apply:

  • Private users (personal consumption)
  • Construction activities (dust suppression, roadworks, irrigation, landscaping)

Please Note: Water supply cannot be sold, distributed or transferred for use to a third party.

Requirements for Supply of Drinking Water (Water Carter):

In accordance with the Public Health Act 2010, the Public Health Regulation 2012, the Food Act 2003 and the Local Government Act 1993, drinking water carters are required to:

  • Develop and register a Quality Assurance Program (QAP) with the local Public Health Unit.
  • Submit a Food Business Notification to Council

Water carters should refer to the NSW Health website for information on their obligations to cart drinking water and for information and templates for developing a Quality Assurance Program. The QAP must comply with the requirements stated in the NSW Guidelines for Water Carters and the Australian Drinking Water Guidelines.

What are the benefits of being a registered user?

  • Account card/s issued to purchase water supply. Additional cards can be issued on request (fees apply).
  • Transaction receipt issued by Council when topping up account balance.
  • Account balance is stored on centralised system associated to the account and not linked to the card. Users can have multiple cards with the balance accessible on all registered cards.
  • Users receive updates on maintenance or outages that affect water filling stations.
  • Credit/debit card can be used to purchase drinking water supply (no receipt issued).

Payment Options

There are two ways to purchase water from our water filling stations:

Credit Card/Debit Card

Pay-as-you-go using Visa, Mastercard credit or debit card.

Please note, no transaction receipts are issued at water filling station sites. Please refer your financial institution for transactional statements.

Both registered and unregistered users can pay for water via credit/debit card.

Account Cards

All registered users will be issued an account card to purchase water. If required, users can be issued with multiple account cards with a fee payable for each additional card, including for replacement cards. 

Your pre-paid balance will be held in our secured portal and not associated with the account card. In the event of a lost, damaged or faulty card, the balance will still be available on your account. 

We will give you a receipt when you top up the balance on the account card. Account card related transaction statements can be issued on request.

To top up your account balance, call (02) 4868 0888 or in person at the Civic Centre, 68 Elizabeth Street Moss Vale during business hours.

Water filling station application form

To register for our water filling stations, complete and submit an application form.

A member from our Customer Service team will be in contact with you shortly after submitting your application to establish your account and finalise application fees.

Contact our Water & Sewer Team on 02 4868 0888.