• Home
  • Online Customer Service Centre

Dog & Cat Registration

Dog & Cat Registration

How to Register Your Cat or Dog

Registration is required under the Companion Animals Act 1998 for all dogs and cats before they turn six months of age. 

There is an an on-the-spot penalty for failure to comply.

The registration fee is a once-only payment and covers lifetime registration in NSW, even if pet ownership changes. 

Lifetime registration fees can now be paid online at the NSW Pet Registry website or Service NSW using your MyServiceNSW Account.

If you are unable to access the online registry you can register your cat or dog at the Civic Centre or at any Service NSW Centre.

Please make sure you bring the following items with you:

  • Applicable fee. 
  • Signed Lifetime Registration (R2) Form. A paper version of this form is also available from Customer Service.
  • Copy of your cat or dog's Permanent Identification (P1A) Form or Verification of Existing Microchip (M1) Form completed by an Authorised Identifier, or Certificate of Identification.
  • Proof of desexing, if applicable. This may take the form of a Certificate of Sterilisation or receipt containing microchip number from a Vet or a statutory declaration stating that the cat or dog has been desexed and is permanently incapable of reproduction.
  • Pensioner concession card or registered breeder identification, if applicable.

Further information on how to register your cat or dog may be obtained from Council on 02 4868 0888.

Click here for fees and charges page 34

Change of Ownership or Address and Missing or Deceased Animals

You must update the Companion Animals Register when: 

  • You sell or give your animal away.
  • You change your address or other contact details.
  • Your animal dies or has been missing for more than three days.


You can update these details online at the NSW Pet Registry website

If your dog or cat has died, you must notify Council within 28 days (or 24 hours in the case of a restricted dog or declared dangerous dog) of its death.

Download the Notification of Deceased Animal form. 

Download other notification forms from the Office of Local Government website.

Desexing Assistance

The National Desexing Network has veterinarians available who offer discount desexing to pet owners in genuine financial need.

To find out if you qualify and to contact a NDN vet visit the website at www.ndn.org.au or telephone 1300 368 992

WSC colour bar
Last Updated: November 15th, 2019
Can’t Find It?