Water Filling Stations
On this page you will find:
- Information on our water filling stations for water carting
- Locations of our water filling stations
- How the water filling stations
The use of standpipes to draw water supply from water hydrants is NOT permitted within Wingecarribee Shire. As an alternative, we have installed water filling stations at multiple locations around the region for use by approved water carters.
With the exception of emergency services and Council Officers, the drawing of water supply through a hydrant standpipe is considered theft and penalties apply.
To report the illegal use of water hydrant standpipes, please contact us immediately on (02) 4868 0888.
The below water filling stations are currently operational:
- Alymerton water filling station In operation
- Bowral water filling station In operation
- Hill Top water filling station In Operation
- Moss Vale-Abattoir Rd water filling station In Operation
- Moss Vale-Oldbury Rd water filling station In Operation
- Robertson water filling station In Operation
- Sutton Forest water filling station In Operation
- Welby water filling station In Operation
Why do we prohibit the use of hydrant standpipes in the region?
1. To prevent disruption of water supply and loss of pressure in the network.
2. To minimise the risk of dirty water complaints and/or possible cross contamination.
3. To prevent our assets from being damaged resulting in costly repairs and water wastage.
4. There is significant cost to ensure the water supply is safe to drink and meets the high standard we deliver. Drawing water from a hydrant standpipe is considered theft because it is not measured consumption.
5. To prevent water wastage issues caused by the inappropriate use of standpipes in the water supply network.
Who can access our drinking water filling stations?
Water can be drawn from our water filling stations for many uses, however additional information or requirements may be applicable depending on the proposed purpose for drawing water:
Personal Consumption (private use) or Construction (dust suppression):
If the intended use is for private consumption or construction purposes, registration is not required. Water can be purchased via credit card at one of our 8 sites at any time. Users can also choose to register and be issued an account card if this is the preferred payment option.
Supply of Drinking Water (Water Carters):
If you intend to draw water for the purpose of selling drinking water(e.g. as a water carter), you must register with us to ensure regulatory compliance obligations are met for the supply of drinking water.
Have any questions or need to report an issue at our water filling stations? Contact us on (02) 4868 0888.
Find a water filling station
We have 8 water filling access points around the region to draw water supply from.
To locate a water filling station, click on your desired location from the list below with a smartphone to open directions in Google Maps.
Print-friendly water filling station locations list(PDF, 220KB)
Water filling stations map
Water filling station user guide
Current Water Filling Stations (Green)
Current (green) water filling station.
- Connect your filling hose
- Ensure your filling hose is connected and secure at both ends
- Ensure the outlet valve on the filling station remains closed
- Authorise your card payment
- Select a $ value using the UP (+) and DOWN (-) buttons (minimum charge $1).
- Press ENTER to confirm the selected value.
- Present your card to the payment terminal using PayWave.
- Screen will display “Pre-authorisation Approved”. Your card will be pre-authorised for the value you have selected.
- You will now be able to access water and proceed to step 3.
- Fill your tank
- Press ENTER
- Slowly open the outlet valve on the filling station
- Fill your tank to the level you require
- Close the outlet valve
- Press FINISH. Your card will now be charged for the value of water you have taken.
- Disconnect your hose
Frequently asked questions
Why did I get an error when trying to authorise the card payment?
If your pre-authorisation is declined, it may be because there are insufficient funds available on your card. Try again with a lower value.
If your credit card continues to be declined, please contact your card issuer.
If you are using a Council issued Account Card, please contact us on (02) 4868 0888 for assistance.
What hose fitting can be used at our WFS?
A hose with a 65mm STORZ fitting (fire brigade fitting equivalent).
Image of a Storz 65 mm fitting
How do I access the new water filling stations?
Drinking water carters are required to register with us as a drinking water carter. Alternatively, other users who wish to pay for water using an account card can choose to register to access this payment method. All users can pay via credit/debit card to access water supply.
Online water filling station account application
Who needs to register?
A water filling station application is required for:
- The resale of drinking water from water carting,
- Food preparation and consumption (food businesses).
The following users are not required to register:
- Private users (personal consumption)
- Construction activities (dust suppression, roadworks, irrigation, landscaping)
Please Note: Water supplied cannot be sold, distributed or transferred for use to a third party.
Requirements for Supply of Drinking Water (Water Carter)
In accordance with the Public Health Act 2010, the Public Health Regulation 2012, the Food Act 2003 and the Local Government Act 1993, drinking water carters are required to:
- Develop and register a Quality Assurance Program (QAP) with the local Public Health Unit.
- Submit a Food Business Notification to Council
Water carters should refer to the NSW Health website for information on their obligations to cart drinking water and for information and templates for developing a Quality Assurance Program. The QAP must comply with the requirements stated in the NSW Guidelines for Water Carters and the Australian Drinking Water Guidelines.
What are the benefits of being a registered user?
- Account card/s issued to purchase water supply. Additional cards can be issued on request (fees apply).
- Transaction receipt issued by Council when topping up account balance.
- Account balance is stored on centralised system associated to the account and not linked to the card. Users can have multiple cards with the balance accessible on all registered cards.
- Users receive updates on maintenance or outages that affect water filling stations.
- Credit/debit card can be used to purchase drinking water supply (no receipt issued).
There are two ways to purchase water from our water filling stations:
Credit Card/Debit Card
Pay-as-you-go using Visa, Mastercard credit or debit card.
Please note, no transaction receipts are issued at water filling station sites. Please refer your financial institution for transactional statements.
Both registered and unregistered users can pay for water via credit/debit card.
All registered users will be issued an account card to purchase water. If required, users can be issued with multiple account cards with a fee payable for each additional card, including for replacement cards.
Your pre-paid balance will be held in our secured portal and not associated with the account card. In the event of a lost, damaged or faulty card, the balance will still be available on your account.
We will give you a receipt when you top up the balance on the account card. Account card related transaction statements can be issued on request.
To top up your account balance, call (02) 4868 0888 or in person at the Civic Centre, 68 Elizabeth Street Moss Vale during business hours.
Water filling station application form
To register for our water filling stations, complete and submit an application form.
A member from our Customer Experience team will be in contact with you shortly after submitting your application to establish your account and finalise application fees.
For more information, contact our Water & Sewer team on 02 4868 0888.
New water filling station system from 2022
In 2022, Council installed 8 water filling stations around the region to replace the units that served the community for over 10 years.
This ageing infrastructure was replaced by new and more advanced systems designed to provide an improved service as part of our Community Strategic Plan.
The new systems are designed to be simple to use, with the ability to adjust the filling rate using an easily adjusted valve. The water outlet connection is an FBT-Storz 65 mm cam ring connection.
The new water filling stations and account management system went live in July 2022.
What do you need to do?
If you require access to our water filling stations:
- For drinking water carting: you will need to complete the Water Filling Station Application to register as a water carter with us. An account card will be issued to you upon account set up. Additional account cards can be issued (fee applies). Alternatively, you can pay using a credit/debit card to purchase water supply, if preferred, however the application is still required.
- For personal consumption or construction purposes: you can start using our water filling stations using a credit/debit card. If you require an account card, you will need to complete the Water Filling Station Application to register an account with us. Multiple cards can be requested (fee applies).