• Home
  • Online Customer Service Centre

Liquid Trade Waste

What is Liquid Trade Waste?

Liquid trade waste is all liquid waste other than sewage of a domestic nature. It is liquid waste to sewer that is not domestic sewage or unpolluted water.

Fees & Charges

For trade waste charging purposes Liquid Trade Waste discharges are classified into four charging categories as follows:

  • Category 1 - dischargers requiring nil/minimal pre-treatment or prescribe pre-treatment with low impact on the sewerage system.
  • Category 2 - dischargers with prescribed treatment.
  • Category 2S - septic tank and pan content waste dischargers.
  • Category 3 - large dischargers (over 16 kL per day) and/ or Industrial dischargers.


linkLiquid Trade Waste Fees & Charges (internal link) 


Apply to Discharge Liquid Trade Waste


To apply to discharge liquid trade waste, select and complete the appropriate form/s from the table below and return to:

Liquid Trade Waste Officer

PO Box 141 Moss Vale NSW 2577

If you are unsure of which form you should use, contact:

Trade Waste Officer

Telephone: (02) 4868-0888 

Business activityDescriptionForm
Accommodation providers
  • Hotel
  • Motel
Accommodation Providers Form
Chemical toilet waste
  • Caravan dump point
  • Bus depot
Chemical Toilet Waste Form
Educational facility
  •  Primary school
  • Secondary school
  • TAFE college
  • University

Educational Facility Form
Exemption activities (activities that don't require Council approval to discharge, but are still required to  be registered by council. These dischargers are required to be inspected once a year).
  • Bed and breakfast
  • Community hall
  • Delicatessen (no hot food)
  • Hairdresser
  • Beautician
  • Dental technician (no x-ray)
  • Doctor's surgery (plaster casts, no x-ray)
  • Dog/cat grooming/salon
  • Pet shop retail
  • Day care centre (no hot food prepared)
  • Funeral parlour
  • Jeweller
  • Motel (no hot food, no laundry)
  • Mixed business (minimal hot food)
  • Nut shop
  • Optical service retail
  • Florist
  • Fruit and vegetable
  • Sandwich shop, salad bar, coffee shop (no hot food)
  • Pizza (reheat)
  • Venetian blind cleaning
Exemptions Form
Food preparation and/or serving facility
  • Restaurant
  • Butcher
  • Canteen
  • Take-away food shop
  • Baker
Food Preparation and or Serving Facility Form
General commercial facility
  • Commercial/community activities such as:
    • Photo-processor
    • Veterinary
    • Laboratory
    • Medical/dentist with x-ray
    • Glass cutting and/or grinding
General Commercial Facility Form
Hospitals/aged care facilities
  • Hospitals
  • Nursing homes
  • Aged care facilities
Hospitals or Aged Care Facilities
Industrial facility
  • Chemical manufacture
  • Abattoir
  • Cheese factory
  • Valve manufacture
Industrial Facility Form
  • Autopsy
  • Clinical
  • Soil testing
  • Tertiary Institutions
Laboratories Form
Laundry facility
  • Commercial laundry
  • Laundromat
Laundry Facility Form
Multiple occupancy commercial/industrial premises
  • Premises containing multiple leased or strata titled commercial/industrial shops or units with shared liquid trade waste pre-treatment equipment, eg:
    • Shopping centre
    • Industrial estate
    • Block of commercial/industrial units
Multiple Occupancy Commercial and Industrial Form
Non-discharger declaration Activities that do not generate any liquid trade waste that is discharged to the sewer. If unsure, complete and alternat form or contact Council.Non Discharger Declaration Form
Open area dischargeFirst flush of stormwater from liquid trade waste generating areas. Not normally accepted, Council will send approval conditions to the NSW Office of Water for concurrence.Open Area Discharge Form
Septic tank/portable toilet wasteThe waste the is pumped out when:
  • Cleaning/servicing a septic tank
  • Cleaning/servicing a portable toilet 
Septic Tank Portable Toilet Waste Form
Vehicle machinery, workshop related, service station covered forecourt
  • Vehicle/equipment washing
  • Car detailing
  • Bus depots
  • Hire equipment
  • Vehicle/equipment service/repairs
  • Smash repairs
  • Wrecker
  • Radiator repairs
  • Service station covered forecourts
  • Engine/gearbox reconditioning
  • Etc
Vechicle machinery Workshop Service Station Forecourt Form

Background Information


In order to comply with the State Government’s legislative requirements, management practices and sewerage operating licenses, Council adopted its Liquid Trade Waste policy and appointed a Liquid Trade Waste Officer in 2006 to implement the policy.

An audit was completed of the whole Shire to assess all trade and commercial premises and to date all sites have been assessed for Liquid Trade Waste compliance. Where appropriate approvals to discharge Liquid Trade Waste to Council's sewer have been issued in concurrence with the NSW Office of Water (NOW). Computer systems have been implemented to monitor Liquid Trade Waste discharges and to enable billing.

The charges were introduced in 2009/10. All charges for Liquid Trade Waste are included in the water and sewerage invoices that are mailed out every 4 months.

Council's Liquid Trade Waste Policy

linkLiquid Trade Waste Policy (internal link).

Sewerage systems are generally designed to collect, transfer and treat domestic liquid waste that are essentially of predictable strength and quality. Council may accept Liquid Trade Waste into its sewerage system as service to business and industry provided that the discharges are controlled within acceptable limits by use of pre-treatment devices (e.g. grease traps) and systems. If not controlled, Liquid Trade Waste can pose serious problems to public health, worker safety, Council’s sewerage system and the environment.

A person wishing to discharge Liquid Trade Waste to the sewerage system must, under Section 68 of the Local Government Act 1993, obtain prior approval from Council. Discharging Liquid Trade Waste without an approval is an offence under Section 626 of the Act. A discharger who fails to comply with the conditions of the approval may be prosecuted under Section 120(1) of the Protection of the Environment Operations (POEO) Act 1997.

Last Updated: July 15th, 2015
Can’t Find It?