An interim heritage order (IHO) is a mechanism under the NSW Heritage Act 1977 which provides immediate protection over “a place, building, work, relic, moveable object or precinct in the council’s area that the council considers may, on further inquiry or investigation, be found to be of local heritage significance, and that the council considers is being or is likely to be harmed” (section 25 of the Heritage Act).
Council has been given delegation from the Minister to issue its own Interim Heritage Orders and IHOs are valid for six (6) months while Council undertakes an assessment of the heritage significance of the place. If Council should decide to proceed to listing the place as a heritage item, the protection under an IHO will be extended for a further six (6) months.
Recently Issued Interim Heritage Orders
There are no current Interim Heritage Orders issued by delegation by Council.
The following section contains a complete list of Interim Heritage Orders issued on properties within the Wingecarribee Shire.
Previous Interim Heritage Orders
The following Interim Heritage Orders (IHOs) have been issued by Wingecarribee Shire Council but have now lapsed.
- IHO No. 1 - published 16 January 2004 affecting 'Holly Cottage', 5 Blue Gum Road, Bundanoon. Subject property is now a heritage item listed in Schedule 5 of the WLEP 2010 (item I1718).
- IHO No. 2 - published 6 February 2004 affecting 'Lynton', 618-620 Argyle Street, Moss Vale. Subject property is now a heritage item listed in Schedule 5 of the WLEP 2010 (item I413).
- IHO No. 3 - published 21 December 2007 (amended 27 June 2008) affecting Jackman's Cottage, 3 Governors Street, and Governors Street, Bundanoon. Jackman's Cottage and Governors Street are now heritage items (item I1371 and I1822 respectively) listed in Schedule 5 of the WLEP 2010.
- IHO No. 4 - published 7 May 2010 affecting 'Bethel Cottage', 38 Old Hume Highway, Mittagong. Subject property is now a heritage item listed in Schedule 5 of the WLEP 2010 (item I1849).
- IHO No. 5 - published 14 May 2010 affecting 'Girraween', 53 Telopea Road, Hill Top. Council noted the heritage significance of the property but resolved not to list the subject site as a heritage item.
- IHO No. 6 - published 16 September 2016 affecting 'Lynbrook', 115-129 Railway Avenue, Bundanoon. IHO lapsed before a heritage assessment was undertaken by Council. Is a potential heritage item.
- IHO No. 7 - published 19 January 2018 affecting former 'OLSH' site, 2-18 Centennial Road, Bowral. Council noted the heritage significance of the property but resolved not to list the subject site as a heritage item.
- IHO No. 8 - published 21 December 2018 affecting 'Welby Park Manor', 28 Old Hume Highway, Welby. Council deferred consideration of the heritage assessment and the IHO lapsed on 21 June 2019. A further report recommending heritage listing of the site was considered by Council on 12 February 2020 and was deferred to "enable staff to bring back to Council further information to address Council’s concerns regarding the internal and external heritage value of the property." This matter is on hold due to restrictions imposed by the COVID-19 crisis but will be progressed as soon as possible.
- IHO No. 9 - published 18 January 2019 affecting 'Aitken Road Group Bowral', namely 25-27, 29, 31, 33-37 and 39-41 Aitken Road, Bowral. Council resolved on 10 July 2019 to heritage list 25-27, 33-37 and 39-41 Aitken Road as a heritage item (Aitken Road Interwar Housing Group) and create a new heritage conservation area comprising 12-30 and 25-43 Aitken Road and 56, 58 and 60 Kangaloon Road, Bowral. The Aitken Road Bowral Planning Proposal has been exhibited during January and February 2020 and results will be reported back to Council in May 2020. For further information, refer to www.wsc.nsw.gov.au/planning-proposal-aitken-road-heritage-bowral.
- IHO No. 10 - published 22 February 2019 affecting 'Rochester Park', 102-104 Old Wingello Road, Bundanoon. Council considered the matter on 14 August 2019 (item 12.5, from page 146 of the Agenda) and Council adopted the officer's recommendation to support heritage listing of ''Rochester Park' house and garden' and increase the minimum lot size of the site from 700m2 to 1 hectare (1ha). The Interim Heritage Order has now expired but Council staff will proceed with the preparation of the Planning Proposal for submission to the Department of Planning, Industry and Environment to commence the heritage listing process. Once Council has received a Gateway Determination the Planning Proposal will be placed on public exhibition and submissions from the community will be invited.
For information on Interim Heritage Orders contact:
Strategic Planning Branch
Phone: 02 4868 0888