Community Recycling Centre
The Wingecarribee Shire Council Community Recycling Centre is a fantastic centre for residents to recycle many common items and is located at the Moss Vale Resource Recovery Centre.
What is a Community Recycling Centre?
CRCs are drop-off centres for common ‘household problem wastes’ such as paints, oils and batteries, that can’t be collected via council kerbside waste and recycling collection services.
New and enhanced Community Recycling Centres are being established across NSW. At these centres, NSW householders can drop off a range of problem wastes free of charge.
Wingecarribee CRC location
The CRC is located at the Resource Recovery Centre, 177 Berrima Road, Moss Vale.
Wingecarribee CRC Opening hours:
The Wingecarribee CRC is open when the Resource Recovery Centre is open.
- Monday to Saturday: 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
- Sunday: 8:00 am - 1:00 pm
- Public holidays: Closed
What can I recycle or dispose of at the Wingecarribee CRC?
Residents can drop off a wide range of materials as well as problem household goods. This includes:
- Bread tags(PDF, 138KB)
- Fluorescent tubes and globes
- Gas bottles and fire extinguishers
- General recycling
- Household batteries
- Car batteries
- Mobile phones and devices
- Motor oils (limit 20L per day)
- Paint (maximum 20L per day)
- Paper/cardboard (clean, dry and unwaxed) (Under 100kg is free)
- Polystyrene packing foam (clean, dry, limit 1m3 per visit)
- Printer cartridges
- Oral care(PDF, 1MB) (toothbrushes, toothpaste tubes, floss containers and electric toothbrush heads)
- Other oils (limit 20L per day, containers <20L capacity)
- Scrap metal (e.g. steel)
- Smoke detectors and x-rays
- Soft plastics (clear plastics only e.g. bags, film and bubble wrap)
- Spray cans (non– hazardous)
- TVs and computers (flat screens only, no CRT monitors/screens)
- Writing equipment(PDF, 492KB) (Including pens, markers, highlighters, white-out etc)
Only household quantities of these materials will be accepted. As a guide, this is a maximum container of 20 litres or 20 kilograms for each of the wastes listed above.
Handle and transport your items carefully. Protect your vehicle by placing items on a protective sheet or tray in the boot to capture any leakages or breakages.
We recommend households collect a box, bag or jar of these items at home and drop them off at the CRC once it is full. This is a great way to reduce waste going to landfill and increase recycling within the Shire.
Community Recycling Collection trailer
Your household problem waste will soon be less problematic, thanks to the roll-out of our new, purpose-designed, Community Recycling Collection trailer in 2023. A first for Wingecarribee Shire, this mobile service will collect from each of our villages at least one day per week.
The trailer will collect problem waste items most people find difficult to dispose of, like polystyrene, motor oils, paint, gas bottles, batteries and fire extinguishers.
The initiative aims to assist residents who cannot easily get to the Community Recycling Centre at Moss Vale or who do not have access to a trailer to transport problem waste and was devised following feedback from residents.
The initiative will enhance waste services for Wingecarribee residents by providing the convenience of regular recycling and household problem waste removal, from a centrally located collection point within their local community and is expected to be up-and-running towards the end of 2023, once the trailer fit-out and operational side of Shire-wide collection has been organised.
Problem Waste Drop-off Stations
Wingecarribee residents can safely dispose of household problem waste items that are not allowed in the Council provided kerbside bins. Problem Waste Drop-off Stations offer a free and easy solution for the disposal of common household problem wastes you can't put in your red, yellow or green bin.
You can drop off: household batteries, ink cartridges, mobile phones, and smoke detectors
You can find our Drop-Off Stations at:
- Welcome Centre: 62-70 Main Street, Mittagong - outside the building under the veranda
- Civic Centre: 68 Elizabeth Street, Moss Vale - right next to the main entrance
- Bundanoon IGA: 65 Railway Ave, Bundanoon - Located within the store
For more information contact Council on 02 4868 0888.
CRCs are free for all NSW residents. To locate other CRCs across NSW, visit NSW EPA Recycling Centres.
This project is a NSW Environment Protection Authority (EPA) Waste Less, Recycle More initiative funded from the waste levy.