We live with noise everyday but sometime certain noises intrude into our activities and become a nuisance. Council deals with a number of noise complaints each year mainly regarding loud music, barking dogs and equipment such as pool pumps and air conditioners.

Noise is managed by different regulatory authorities depending on the noise issue. See the table below for who to contact about specific noise issues. 

Resolving Noise Issues

There are a number of pathways for residents to resolve noise issues. 

One of the best ways to resolve the issue may be to talk with the person, if possible, making the noise as they may not be aware that the noise is causing a problem. 

Involving Council may not always be the best way to solve the issue. 

Where a complaint is made to Council, you will be required to monitor the noise issue and provide credible and reliable information before any action is taken. Council uses regulatory mechanisms only when all non-regulatory mechanisms have been exhausted.

The Neighbourhood Noise Policy has more information on how Council responds to noise issues.  

The Community Justice Centres provide free mediation services and have information on dealing with conflict.

Making a Complaint

The Neighbourhood Noise Complaints Fact Sheet below has information on how to make a complaint and what is required. There is also a form that can be completed. There are different forms for barking dogs and other kinds of noise. 

Types of Noise

The Fact Sheets on the following pages have more information on legislation requirements for common noise source such as barking dogs, power tools, pumps and poultry.

Time Restrictions on Noise

Legislation is in place which restricts the times that domestic appliances and equipment such as lawn mowers and musical instruments are required not to be audible in a neighbouring house. Requirements for some common noise source are outlined in the table below along with the appropriate regulatory authority to contact. 

The Common Noise Sources Fact Sheet(PDF, 306KB) has further information.

Noise Source On Residential Premises Time Restrictions (Noise should not be audible in a neighbour's residence during these times) Authority to Contact

Power tools & equipment (powered garden tools, e.g. lawn mowers & leaf blowers, electric or pneumatic tools, chainsaws or circular saws, gas or air compressors, swimming pool or spa pumps)

8pm-7am on week days & Saturdays;

8pm-8am on Sundays & Public Holidays

Council or Police


Pumps - swimming pool, spa, sump, water cooler that uses a pump and other equipment used for pumping 

8pm-7am on week days & Saturdays;

8pm-8am on Sundays & Public Holidays

Council or Police


Musical instruments & sound equipment (radios, TVs, tape recorders, record or compact disc players, public address systems, computer games) 12 midnight to 8am Friday, Saturday or any day preceding a public holiday
10pm-8am on any other day
Council or Police


Air conditioners & heat pump hot water systems


10pm-7am on week days

10pm-8am on weekends & public holidays



Motor vehicles (except when entering or leaving residential premises)

8pm-7am on week days

8pm-8am on weekends & public holidays

Council or Police


Refrigeration units fitted to motor vehicles

8pm-7am on week days

8pm-8am on weekends & public holidays

Council or Police  
Noise from burglar alarms Refer to New South Wales EPA



Council or Police  
Hours of demolition & construction works The hours for construction & demolition activities are specified in a specific development consent. Any breaches should be referred to the certifying body (i.e the private certifier or councils Development & Building Service Branch) advertised at the development site. Council or Police


Noise from pubs & clubs


  Liquor Administration Board
02 9995 0300


Council's Neighbourhood Noise Policy describes how complaints are managed.