Water Filling Stations


On this page you will find:

  • Information on our water filling stations for water carting and construction purposes 
  • Where to find our Water Filling Stations
  • How to use our Water Filling Stations
  • How to apply to access water from our Water Filling Stations

The use of standpipes to draw water supply from water hydrants is not permitted within Wingecarribee Shire. As an alternative, we have installed Water Filling Stations at multiple locations around the region for use by approved water carters.

Please note with the exception of emergency services and Council Officers, the drawing of water supply through a hydrant standpipe is considered theft and hefty penalties apply.

To report the illegal use of water hydrant standpipes, please contact us immediately.

Water Filling Station Upgrade Project

As part of our commitment to continually improve our services to the community, we are currently replacing our water filling station access points, installing additional access points and upgrading the account management system.

A transition period of 6 months will occur to enable users to transfer from the existing system over to the new system. 

Depending on the system you are currently using, please ensure you refer to the appropriate section on this page for instructions.

Why do we prohibit the use of hydrant standpipes in the region?

Why do we prohibit the use of hydrant standpipes in the region?

1. To prevent our assets from being damaged resulting in costly repairs and water wastage.

2. There is significant cost to ensure the water supply is safe to drink and meets the high standard we deliver. Drawing water from a hydrant standpipe is considered theft because it is not measured consumption.

3. To prevent disruption of water supply through drawing of water from a hydrant to nearby properties.

4. To minimise the risk of dirty water complaints and/or possible cross contamination.

5. To prevent water wastage issues caused by the inappropriate use of standpipes in the water supply network.

Why do we require you to register as a user to access our Water Filling Stations?

To ensure we meet our regulatory compliance obligations, each user must register with us to draw water from our water filling stations.

Depending on the proposed use of the water, additional requirements may be required with NSW Health, therefore traceability is necessary.  

Station Locations

The locations of our filling stations can be found below: 

This element requires javascript to be enabled.

Please wait while we load your map...


Water Filling Stations Location Map(PDF, 523KB)

Water Filling Station System

7 Water Filling Stations have recently been installed around the region to replace the existing units that have served the community for over 10 years. This ageing infrastructure was replaced by new, more technologically advanced systems that are designed to serve the community for the next 30 years and beyond.
These systems are designed to be simple to use, with the ability to adjust the filling rate using an easily adjusted valve. 

User Instructions

Only registered credit cards are accepted at this water filling station.

Connect your filling hose
  • Ensure your filling hose is connected and secure at both ends
  • Ensure the outlet valve on the filling station remains CLOSED

Authorise your card payment
  • Visa, Mastercard
  • Select a $ value using the UP (+) / DOWN (-) buttons
  • Press ENTER to confirm the selected value
  • Present your credit card
  • Pre-Authorisation approved

Note: Your card will be pre-authorised for the value you select. Once you have completed the transaction you will only be charged for the water you have taken. (Minimum charge $1)

Fill your tank
  • Press ENTER
  • Slowly OPEN the outlet valve on the filling station
  • Fill your tank to the level you require
  • CLOSE the outlet valve
  • Press FINISH

Why did get an error when trying to authorise the card payment?

If your pre-authorisation is declined, it may be because there are insufficient funds available on your card. Try again with a lower value.  Ensure that you only use the credit card that you have registered with Council. If your card continues to be declined, please contact your card issuer. If you are using a Council issued Account Card, please contact (02) 4868 0888 for assistance.

What hose fitting will suit this WFS?

A hose with a 65mm STORZ outlet (same as a fire brigade fitting) is required to be connected to the low level, back-flow protected filling station.

How do I add additional cards to my account?

Complete and submit the Water Filling Application form on this page and fill out the information as an “existing user” to request additional cards or update your account information. 

Apply to use our Water Filling Stations

To apply to access our water filling stations, complete and submit the application form below. A member from our Customer Service team will be in contact with you shortly after submitting your application to discuss further.

This form can also be used to update existing user information, including:
  • Update contact information
  • Update payment information
  • Report an issue with your Account Card
  • Request additional or replacement Account Cards 

Water Supply User Types
Water can be drawn from our Water Filling Station for many uses, however additional information or requirements may be applicable depending on the proposed purpose for drawing water supply.

Water supply use has been split into two categories - Commercial Use and Private Use. Please review the following to determine which suits the intended water use.

Commercial Use

Drawing water supply for commercial purposes includes, the resale of drinking water from water carting, food preparation and consumption, construction activities (dust suppression, roadworks, irrigation, landscaping).

Requirements for Supply of Drinking Water (Water Carter):

In accordance with the Public Health Act 2010, the Public Health Regulation 2012, the Food Act 2003 and the Local Government Act 1993; drinking water carters are required to have developed and registered a Quality Assurance Program (QAP) with the local Public Health Unit.

Note: Information and templates for developing a Quality Assurance Program are available from the NSW Health website. The QAP must comply with the requirements stated in the NSW Guidelines for Water Carters and the Australian Drinking Water Guidelines.

Private Use

Drawing water supply for private means for personal consumption only. Water supply cannot be sold, distributed or transferred for use to a third party.

User Payment Account Types

There are two options available to purchase water from our Water Filling Stations. 

Our preferred option is the use of Credit / Debit Cards for the benefits of:
  • Allowing users to purchase water uninhibited by our trading hours. Account Cards balances can only be topped up during business hours and in person at the Civic Centre.
  • Enabling users to manage their own transactions and account directly with their own card issuer.
  • Reducing potential issues with account card faults, lost balances or lost cards.
  • Account Cards will incur a cost to replace or purchase additional cards
  • Adding multiple credit / debit cards to an account has no cost to the user

Credit Card / Debit Card

Pay as you go with ease using either a Visa or Mastercard Credit or Debit Card to access our WFS. 

Register the card with us to allow you access to the WFS. Multiple cards can be registered under one account at no extra cost. 

Account Cards

After much consideration, we have decided to continue with the use of Account Cards as an alternative option to Credit/Debit Cards to purchase water.

Users can be issued with multiple account cards, upon request, however a fee applies for each additional card, including replacement cards.

To top up the balance of your account card, the user must attend top up in person at the Civic Centre, 68 Elizabeth Street Moss Vale during business hours.


Have some questions? Please contact a member of our Water & Sewer Team on 02 4868 0888. 


Application Form

Use this form to:

- Apply to draw water from our Water Filling Stations (Private or Commercial User)
- Update existing user information

- Apply for additional account cards, replacement cards or register additional credit/debit cards 

Frequently Asked Questions

How Does It Work?

On Approval of your application, you will be given an access code to the locks.

Take the following steps:

1. Open the upper cover and place the card onto the panel.

2. Take note of the volume on the display, this shows how much water is available to be drawn from the unit.

3. Open lower panel and connect hose from truck to 65mm Storz outlet. (same fitting as the fire brigade)

4. To Start press Black button until desired flow is achieved.

5. To Stop press the Red button until the flow has stopped or just take the card away from the unit and the machine will shut down.

6. Take note of the reading on the display and subtract the volume from the original volume to determine the amount of water used.

Do I Need A Hose To Connect The UFS Outlet?

Yes, A hose with a 65mm STORZ outlet (same as a fire brigade fitting) is required to be connected to the low level, back-flow protected filling station.

Can I Have More Than One Card?

Yes, it is advisable to hold two cards and rotate their use, when one card's credit expires, simply swap cards and continue the extraction. When convenient, see Customer Service and ask for the expired card to be reloaded.

Can I get an exemption?

Special exemptions can be requested in writing to council and will be subject to the approval by the Manager of Water and Sewer. All of the following criteria must be met to be considered for special exemptions:

The location of the water delivery is greater than 15km from one of the existing urban filling stations.

The quantity of water to be delivered is greater than 10,000 litres. The frequency of delivery is greater then once a day. Contractors / Water carters will need to show documented evidence / log records to validate each exemption point listed above.