Civic Centre Repair & Refurbishment
- Project typeRepair and Refurbishment
- Project value$9.260 Million
- Project scheduleOngoing
The Civic Centre is a vital piece of community infrastructure that provides a place for our community to meet in formal and informal settings.
The building located at 68 Elizabeth Street in Moss Vale, includes the Council Chambers, Moss Vale Branch Library and a range of civic facilities and services.
The Civic Centre Repair and Refurbishment project involves repair and renewal works to the existing building.
The building was originally built in 1970 and extended in 1997. Since then, only minor maintenance activities such as painting, carpet replacement and an amenities upgrade have been carried out.
Council undertook this project because the existing building had significant maintenance issues, was energy inefficient and was difficult to access. The building also did not comply with current Workplace Health and Safety Standards.
Project Update - 26 October 2021
Council has terminated the contract with Matrix Group Co. Pty Ltd for the refurbishment of the Moss Vale Civic Centre. The decision to terminate the builder follows increased delays, performance breaches and failure on behalf of the builder to manage sub-contractors and tradespersons.
Fortunately, our contingency plans enable Council to step in and complete the remainder of the project.
The majority of remaining works are located externally and back of house and will have little impact on customers.
Notwithstanding existing contract arrangements and lead times for manufacture, Council anticipates practical completion of the project to be finalised by the end of the year.
Repair and Refurbishment Features
- New roof structure
- Building alterations including infill of existing courtyard allowing modification to area of existing library
- Extension over library for storage, meeting rooms and accessible toilets
- Ceiling works in Council Chambers and new external plant platform area
- New atrium stair and accessible lift to first floor
- Associated fire system upgrades including smoke detection and alarm systems, emergency lighting, exit signage and any artificial lighting plus hydrants and hose reels in refurbished and extended areas
- Minor landscaping and adjustments to external retaining walls to accommodate the new roof support columns.
- Installation of a commercial solar system
- Upgrade to a modern and energy efficient air-conditioning system for heating and cooling.
The $9.260 million project is funded through existing cash reserves and low interest loans.
The project is included in Council’s Delivery Program 2017 – 2021 and supporting documents.
Project Delivery Team
02 4868 0888
68 Elizabeth Street, Moss Vale 2575 View Map