Wingecarribee Shire Council and our community aim to promote the type of development that would reduce the use of fossil fuel:
In 2015, a 30 amp Level 2 electric vehicle (EV) recharger, supplemented by solar energy, was installed in Council's Welcome Centre carpark at Mittagong.
This recharger is accessible by 58 of the 60 known EV and plug-in hybrid vehicle models on Australian roads. Another two electric vehicle models can access this EV recharger using a type of adapter.
Some of the most popular EVs in Australia have a driving range of up to 170kms, making Council's recharger at Mittagong easily accessible from Sydney's CBD 113 kms away. This EV recharger is NOT a fast recharger so it will take between 3 and 5 hours to fully charge most current EVs from empty.
NOTE: there are very few public EV recharge stations outside the Sydney region at the moment so EV drivers still need to prepare for and plan their regional trips carefully.
There are a range of measures we can all take as individuals, businesses and as a community to reduce carbon emissions from burning fossil fuels.
- Drive more efficiently and use transport that burns less or no fossil fuels:
- Change the way we drive our vehicles so we use and burn less petrol.
- Use our own naturally produced energy to walk or cycle to nearby destinations. Great for our physical and mental health too!
- Provide bike racks or Electric Vehicle recharging stations at businesses and public spaces to support customers trying to reduce their use of fossil fuels.
- Take the time to take advantage of public transport.
- Consider an electric vehicle or plug-in hybrid as your next vehicle purchase to lower your fuel consumption.
Reduce fossil fuel use and source cleaner fuels to power our homes and businesses:
- Adopt energy efficient practices in our daily lives.
- Install renewable energy systems to reduce reliance on fossil fuels
- Buy Green Power through your energy provider which will be used to invest in more renewable energy across Australia.
- Reduce woodsmoke pollution from wood heaters in homes.