Wingecarribee Shire Council (Council) has prepared this Guide to provide information for the public on:
- Council’s approach to sites contaminated by asbestos, emergencies or incidents and naturally occurring asbestos
general advice for residents on renovating homes that may contain asbestos
- Council’s development approval process for developments that may involve asbestos
- Waste management and regulation procedures for asbestos waste in the local government area
- Where further information can be found.
This Guide should be read in conjunction with Council’s Asbestos Management Policy.
This Guide does not provide detail on specific procedures. Practical guidance on how to manage risks associated with asbestos and asbestos containing material can be found in the:
- Code of practice on how to manage and control asbestos in the workplace (ISBN 978-0-642-33316-2) available from SafeWork NSW.
- Code of practice on how to safely remove asbestos (ISBN 978-0-642-33318-6) available from SafeWork NSW.
Additional guidance material is listed in Appendix B. For specific advice, individuals are encouraged to contact Council or the appropriate organisation.