• Home
  • Online Customer Service Centre

Reporting a Bushfire Hazard Complaint

Making a Complaint

If you believe there is a potential bushfire hazard near your property you can make a complaint to the NSW Rural Fire Service. Complaints may be lodged online, over the phone, or using the forms below.

Wingecarribee Fire Control Centre
Telephone: (02) 4868-5500
Postal address: PO Box 337, Mittagong NSW 2575
In person: Cnr Priestly & Etheridge Streets, Mittagong

PDFBushfire Hazard Complaint Form (PDF, 21kB)

PDFBushfire Hazard Complaint Form - Unoccupied Crown Land or Managed Land (PDF, 30kB)

NSW Rural Fire Service
Online complaint form: www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/reporting-a-bushfire-hazard

Complaints Procedure

Upon receipt of your complaint, the matter will be investigated and a determination made as to whether a bushfire hazard exists on the land you have specified.

If a bushfire hazard is found to exist in your area of concern, there are two options for mitigating that hazard: The land must be mapped as Bushfire Prone Land, except under extreme circumstances. If the area of concern is not mapped as Bushfire Prone land in accordance with the Wingecarribee Bushfire Prone Land Maps the complaint may be forwarded to the WSC Rangers for further review under the Local Government Act.

If the land is privately owned, a notice under section 66 of the Rural Fires Act will be issued requiring the owner or occupier to reduce the hazard within a specified area.

If the land is managed by Council, the area will be added to Council's fuel reduction program and the hazard reduced using appropriate methodologies.

Once an inspection and hazard assessment have been completed, you will be notified in writing of the outcome of your complaint.

Applying for a Bushfire Hazard Reduction Certificate

As of 1 July 2003, all bushfire hazard reduction work conducted in NSW requires a Bushfire Hazard Reduction Certificate. The aim of these certificates is to streamline the assessment process for hazard reduction work whilst maintaining adequate protection for the environment.


Should you wish to undertake bushfire hazard reduction work on your own property, you will need to make an application to the Rural Fire Service for a Bushfire Hazard Reduction Certificate. Application forms and guidelines for completing your application are available from:

Wingecarribee Fire Control Centre

Telephone: (02) 4868-5500

In Person: Cnr Priestly & Etheridge Streets, Mittagong

Upon receipt of your application, the Rural Fire Service may need to inspect your property and assess the area you wish to Hazard Reduce.

After an assessment has been made, you will be advised in writing of the outcome of your application. 

Last Updated: March 31st, 2015
Can’t Find It?