• Home
  • Online Customer Service Centre

Dog & Cat Registration Fees

How to Register Your Cat or Dog

Registration is required under the Companion Animals Act 1998 (external link) for all dogs and cats before they turn six months of age. The legislation provides for an on-the-spot penalty of $275 for failure to comply.

The registration fee is a once-only payment and covers lifetime registration in NSW, even if pet ownership changes. 

You will receive your certificate of registration once your cat or dog is registered.

To register your cat or dog, present the following items to Customer Service (internal link):

  • Applicable fee. 
  • Signed Lifetime Registration (R2) Form (external link). A paper version of this form is also available from Customer Service (internal link).
  • Copy of your cat or dog's Permanent Identification (P1A) Form or Verification of Existing Microchip (M1) Form completed by an Authorised Identifier, or Certificate of Identification.
  • Proof of desexing, if applicable. This may take the form of a Certificate of Sterilisation or receipt containing microchip number from a Vet or a statutory declaration from a previous owner stating that the cat or dog has been desexed and is permanently incapable of reproduction.
  • Pensioner concession card or registered breeder identification, if applicable.

If you are submitting items via post or email, please send copies of forms only. Payment can be made via accompanying cheque or request for Customer Service to contact you to process payment over the phone via credit card. 

Further information on how to register your cat or dog may be obtained from Council's Environmental Assessment Branch, telephone: (02) 4868-0888.



Fee schedule for lifetime registration of your pet.

Undesexed cat or dog$195
Desexed cat or dog$53
Desexed cat or dog, owned by a pensioner$22
Dog or cat, owned by a recognised breeder$53


Change of Ownership or Address and Missing or Deceased Animals

You must notify council when: 

  • You sell or give your animal away.
  • You change your address or other contact details.
  • Your animal dies or has been missing for more than three days.


 pdf iconNotification of deceased animal form (PDF 38.9KB)

Download other notification forms from the Office of Local Government website (external link).

Last Updated: April 7th, 2017
Can’t Find It?