• Home
  • Online Customer Service Centre

Developer Contributions Plans & Development Servicing Plans

Section 94 and Section 94A of the Environmental Planning & Assessment Act 1979 allow Council to collect monetary contributions from the development of land in order to help meet the additional demand for roads and traffic, community, cultural, open space and recreational facilities generated by development associated with population growth and employment generation. 

Similar contributions for water, sewer and stormwater services are collected under Section 64 of the Local Government Act.

Council reviews its contributions plans from time so you are encouraged to check this page regularly if you are interested in or are in the process of developing property that maybe subject to Council's Section 94, Section 94A and/or Section 64 Plans.

Each of the Plans contains maps showing where they apply and clauses explaining to what types of development they apply.

NOTE: A new Development Servicing Plan (DSP) for Water and Sewer was adopted by Council on 27 July 2017 and came into effect on 15 September 2017.  This new Plan repeals the previous Water and Sewer DSP.

The new sewer charge under this Plan is $10,350 per ET, and the new water charge under this Plan is $10,676 per ET.  

Rates Schedule

Current contribution plans and development servicing plans rates.

pdf Contributions and Charges from 1 November 2017 to 31 January 2018(PDF 76.3 kB)


Frequently Asked Questions

What is a Section 94 (Environmental Planning & Assessment Act) Contributions Plan?

It is a policy of Council that identifies the needs of the anticipated development for public services and amenities, how much these facilities will cost and how they will be funded. Generally S.94 plans identify development as being the major funding source for these facilities.

What is a Section 64 (Local Government Act) Contributions Plan?

In 1987, the Water and Sewerage component of S.94 was removed and legislation introduced in the Local Government Act (LGA) under S.64 for the provision of Water and Sewer contributions. The Local Government Act refers to the requirements of the Water Management Act 2000. 

Why do Developers have to pay?

The state government recognised in the 1970s that existing communities were subsidising the provision of services and amenities in new growth areas. As a result they introduced a “user pay” system (S.94) where those who generate the need for services and facilities should pay for their provision. S.94 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 (EPA Act) enables Councils to legally levy contributions from developers.

Essentially development contributions are an internal mechanism for Council to ensure the community (via higher rates etc) does not bear the costs of mitigating against the impacts of development.

Principles of Contributions The key principles of section 94 are based on the provisions of the EPA Act as amended. Water and sewer contributions follow a similar set of principles and guidelines. The basic principles are:

  • A contribution may be required for either the provision of new or additional facilities, or the recoupment of funds already expended in anticipation of development;
  • The contribution must be ‘reasonable’;
  • Contributions are to be used only for the purpose for which they were collected;
  • Financial contributions are to be spent and land dedications are to be made available within a ‘reasonable‘ time, and;
  • There must be a demonstrated nexus (connection) between:
    • The proposed development and the demand for the new or additional facility, 
    • The cost of the facility and the amount of contribution, 
    • The location of the development and the location of the facility, 
    • The timing of payment of the contribution and the provision of the facility.

Why do contributions increase?

Council’s contributions plans include provisions that allow it to increase its’ contributions rates by upward movements in the Consumer Price Index and Producer Price Indexes each quarter (every three months).

The purpose of this is to ensure that the funds received are generally in keeping with the increasing costs of providing services and facilities.

Are there other options available other than paying monetary contributions?

Yes. Council is open to considering offers from Developers, as long as those offers are made to Council in accordance with Council's Voluntary Planning Agreements Policy (Section 93F of the EPA Act) and Works-in-kind Policy. These Policies can be downloaded from the links provided below.

Last Updated: November 1st, 2017
Can’t Find It?